Useful Guides

Simple guide to getting your UK driving license

Simple guide to getting your UK driving license

Learning to drive is a valuable skill to have that gives you freedom and flexibility throughout your life.

In UK, you are eligible to begin learning to drive a car on your 17th birthday. All vehicle licensing is handled by the DVLA.

The address is Swansea, SA99 1AD.
The telephone number is 0300 790 6801.

What is a provisional licence?

A provisional license is the first step to getting you on the road. You must hold a provisional license in order to begin learning to drive on the road. Your vehicle must be roadworthy (Have a valid MOT certificate) be taxed and insured with “L” plates clearly displayed front and rear. Holders of provisional licenses must always be accompanied by someone over the age of 21 who is a full license holder in the relevant vehicle category, for a minimum of 3 years.

What you will need to apply for your provisional license

  • A valid passport if you want your photo and signature to be provided electronically (how to get a UK passport)
  • Be resident in the UK
  • Never held a provisional license before
  • Proof of address over the last three years. (Correspondence from school or college)
  • National Insurance number (for more information on getting a NI number)
  • Visa Debit or credit card (for more information go to setting up your first bank account)

What is will cost to get your license

  • A valid passport if you want your photo and signature to be provided electronically (how to get a UK passport)
  • Provisional license £50 fee
  • Theory test £31 fee
  • Practical test, £62 on weekdays, £75 on weekday evenings, weekends and bank holidays.

7 steps to getting your UK driving license

  1. You can apply for your provisional license up to three months before your 17th birthday but you are not allowed out on the road until the day of your birthday with a valid provisional license.
  2. You cannot apply to take your practical driving test until you have taken and passed your theory test. The earliest date you can take your theory test is your 17th birthday. Click this link to apply for your theory test
  3. You apply for your provisional license by completing a D1 form available from the post office or you can apply for a paper pack here
  4. The D1 can also be completed online by clicking here. You must provide a signature and photograph for your new license. If you already hold a UK passport this information will be captured by the DVLA from the Identity and Passport service. However if you do not already hold a UK passport and you chose to apply online, the form will be returned to you by post to attach a photo so it’s probably quicker and easier to complete a physical form and include your photo at the bottom.
  5. In order to apply on line you must have a Government Gateway ID and password. Get this by clicking this link and following the prompts. In order to get a Government Gateway ID you must have your National Insurance number and passport number.
  6. If you do not hold a UK passport, a UK birth certificate or adoption certificate can be used as proof of identity, supported by your national insurance card or letter from DWP (Department of Work and Pensions) with your NI number on, P45, P60 or a payslip. Student union card, marriage certificate or divorce papers or an original benefits letter. Only originals will be accepted, no photocopies.
  7. To book a practical test click this link. DVLA aims to give you a date within 9 weeks from booking so bear this in mind when planning for your test.

You may also find this link helpful; Simple Guide To Budgeting To Run A Car

  • Snooper
  • Reviews


Other snoops by Webmaster

Contact snooper

Please login or register to post comments.

Categories: Useful Guides
Rate this snoop:
No rating yet

Back To Top